There are several options for CV axles (front):
- OEM Toyota/Lexus - higher price point, reliable, stock boots which tend to tear quickly on the inner joint
- Aftermarket CVJ axles - moderate price point, OEM parts, has a boot upgrade which prevents tearing (email or call CVJ for ordering http://www.cvjreman.com/)
- Aftermarket “cheap” axles with warranty from chain parts stores such as Advanced Auto, AutoZone, Oreillys, etc. Tend to fail, but can get free warranty replacement. Not highly recommended
- Aftermarket UPGRADED axles from Lotus - expensive, chromoly outers won't break, stock inner joint is OEM so provides a “fuse”, still has inner boot issue (http://lotusdevelopmentllc.mybigcommerce.com/fj-cruiser-2nd-gen-tacoma-4th-gen-4runner/)
- RCV performance CVs. Expensive, STRONG inner, outer, and shaft. Still has inner boot issue. (http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=CVJIFS-TOY2)
CVJ sells inner high angle boots to replace all the inner boot issues with a longer, silicone boot. Highly recommended.
There are several options for rear axle upgrades:
- Stock 8“ rear with improved ring and pinion.
- Stock 8” rear with improved ring and pinion and axles.
- 2010 or later FJ 8.2“ rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on without KDSS
- 2010 or later 4Runner 8.2” rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on with or without KDSS, depending on 4Runner trim (Trail Premium w/KDSS will bolt on to a GX470 w/KDSS)
- 2010 or later GX460 8.2“ rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff), will only fit KDSS GX470's or will require rear sway bar removal or bracket fabrication. Swapping to a GX460 rear axle will also require re-gearing to match factory 3.73, or regearing the front to match 3.91 (doable by replacing the front diff with a ~$100 junkyard GX460 unit)
- Aftermarket 8.2” rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on
- Aftermarket 9.5“ rear axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Bolt on
- Aftermarket Currie axle replacement (whole housing and diff) - Modifications needed to driveshaft.