This is an old revision of the document!
Buying a GX
If you've owned a Toyota or Lexus (generally speaking, there are always bad apples), you know the reliability that comes with their vehicles. The GX470 is no exception. The primary consideration when purchasing a higher-mileage GX is maintenance. So to answer an FAQ question here: If you have the option between an 80,000 mile GX with no maintenance history and a 120,000 mile GX with full, consistent maintenance history, which one do you buy? The one with the better maintenance history.
- Before you take the time to look at a GX in person, look up the Lexus service history here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
- Test the center differential lock before you buy. The vast majority of GX's are pavement queens - if the actuator is frozen up, you want to know before you buy one and have a $1k+ repair.
- Driveshaft clunks are common. Grease band-aids it, but the proper fix is updated parts per Lexus TSB).
- Radiators tend to leak around 100-150k (easy replacement).
- Check for dashboard cracks. Lexus will replace cracked dashboards under warranty until May 31 2017, or 10 years after when the vehicle was first put in service (whichever is later).
- Check the timing belt / water pump service history - the timing belt should be replaced every 90k. It’s good practice to change the water pump at the same time. (GX 460 uses a timing chain but always a good practice to check for a water pump leak)
Things you should know
- The OEM navigation unit is generally terrible. Get a vehicle without a navigation unit if you can. This makes installing an aftermarket head unit simple.
- OEM navigation units can only be upgraded with the Grom V-Line, which has not performed all that well but is getting better through firmware updates.
- 2007+ navigation (5th generation) is much better than the older versions. 2007+ also gets a 3.5mm auxiliary jack for the stereo.
- Mark Levinson speakers are not standard automotive speakers. There are a few aftermarket speakers that will match up to the ML amplifier, or you can buy surround repair kits if your speakers start to fail. Several aftermarket speaker options are below:
- Front and rear doors (x4) - McLaren MLM6A
- Front door and rear hatch (2 pair) - McLaren MLT2
- Front door tweeter - (1 pair) - McLaren MLT60
- Center speaker - none known
- Front door speakers require 6×9 to 6.5 adapter plates
- Rear air conditioning only came with GX's ordered with the rear seat package.
- A transmission cooler is standard, whether or not you have the towing package. (In the US the GX 460 uses a liquid cooled AT Cooler within the radiator and not a separate air cooled cooler on the front of the radiator.)
- Rear HVAC: 460 models equipped with 3 zone climate have AC and heat in the rear. Rear HVAC unit in 460 has both a heater core and AC evaporator. 470 models with 3 zone climate have AC evaporator in the rear. There is no 3 zone heating in the 470 but heat is supplied by front vents.
- Turning radius/circle: 470 37.4 feet / '10-'13 460 - 38.1 feet / '14 + 460 - 41.4 feet
- Which models have A-TRAC -Active Traction Control system? : All 470 and 460 models and trims have the A-TRAC -Active Traction Control system
- Which models have AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) and RAHC (Rear Adjustable Height Control)? : '03-'09 GX 470, '10 - '13 GX 460 Premium and '14+ Luxury models
- 460/470 Horsepower/Torque Figures: 2003-2004 GX 470 - 235 HP @ 4800 rpm & 320 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm / 2005 GX 470 - 270 hp @ 5400 rpm & 330 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm / 2006-2009 GX 470 - 263 hp @ 5400 rpm & 323 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm (SAE instituted new test procedures-engine same as 2005) / 2010-2019 GX 460 - 301 hp @ 5500 rpm & 329 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm (292 hp @ 5500 rpm & 323 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm in Eurasian markets)/ GX 400 (Chinese market only) 271 HP @ 5600RPM and 281 ft-lbs @ 4400 RPM
- 460/470 curb weight: 2003 - 4,585 lbs, 2004 - 4,740 lbs, 2005 to 2009 - 4,871 lbs, 2010 to 2015 - 5,128-5,179 lbs, 2016 to 2019 - 5,130-5,199 lbs / '19 Toyota 4R TRD Pro 4,750 lbs
- 460 - What trim versions are available in US? '10-'13 Base and Premium / '14+ Base, Premium and Luxury / '10-'13 Premium = '14+ Luxury
|Approach / Departure / Breakover||ClubLexus link|
|Lexus vehicle build lookup via VIN number||More info here.|
|Lexus navigation generation & version grid||More info here.|
|Wiring Diagrams and TSBs||More info here.|
|Download owner's manual||More info here.|
|Alternate Download of owner's manuals here at Lexusgxor.com||More info here.|
|Vehicle brochures (2005+)||More info here.|
|460 - Options/changes over model years||ClubLexus link|
|460 Areas to check before purchase or powertrain warranty expiration||More info here.|
|460 - Is there an extended warranty on the emission related air injection pump system on '10-'13 GX 460s?||Yes. Lexus now warranties any failure of the pump or valves for 10 years from first service with unlimited mileage. ClubLexus link If one has a GX 460 past this warranty in the future one can always do Hewitt bypass or repair with relatively inexpensive 3rd party parts. Replacement of these parts is easy for the DIYer. The air pump on the 460 is located in an easy location behind the front right headlight and does not require the major disassembly of engine that the 470 requires. Temporary method to get out of LIMP mode - Remove plastic cover over radiator area, disconnect electrical connector on air pump, reset existing OBD codes, CEL will be re-triggered but should keep vehicle out of LIMP mode|